Senior Program Manager – WASH
Position: Senior Program Manager – WASH
Reports to: Country Director (with technical reporting to the Global Program Coordinator)
Position type: Full time staff
Location: Apac, Uganda
Lifeline is seeking an exceptional leader and manager of unquestioned operational excellence, intellectual breadth, strategic thinking, and practical experience with the non-profit, government, and/or business sectors. S/he will serve as the head of the Uganda WASH team reporting to the Country Director and will also work closely with Lifeline partners, including international funders, government authorities, corporate partners, social entrepreneurs and stakeholders to ensure alignment across activities. This position is both strategic and operationally oriented. The successful candidate will be skilled in managing growing programs with both local operations and international partners. S/he will have experience working closely with expert staff, non-profit and for-profit partners, and other constituents to achieve ambitious goals. Experience in global development, advocacy and service delivery are a must.
- Steer, manage, monitor and report on all on-going WASH projects, ensuring that the projects are implemented in line with organizational objectives, donor requirements, monitoring indicators and frameworks, timelines, budgets and contract management requirements.
- Develop the WASH team’s strategic work plan, including introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project monitoring & evaluation (M&E) and ensure the achievement of specific objectives.
- Plan the weekly and monthly activities of the teams and supervise seamless implementation.
- Actively pursue proposal writing, partnership opportunities and new business development.
- Propose activities and tools to improve the WASH activities of Lifeline in Uganda.
- Analyze and evaluate data to ensure achievement of objectives and/or takes corrective actions when necessary to meet program/project objectives.
- Supervise project finance management, prepare project and donor forecasting collaboratively with finance department and Global team, budget monitoring on a timely basis.
- Provide technical direction and advice to ensure that project activities are designed and implemented in line with Lifeline policies and procedures and donor requirements.
- Undertake field visits to monitor projects, conduct periodic program reviews, and provide technical and back up support to sub-sector staff in the locations where Lifeline is working.
- Oversee WASH program procurement requests and ensure that the requests are in line with program budgets and followed value for money principles.
- Identify potential issues and propose solutions.
- Ensure that all water, sanitation and ancillary infrastructure delivered by Lifeline is done on time, on budget, and following government regulations, Lifeline standards, and global best practices.
- Stay abreast of improvements in the sector and update our standards accordingly.
Reporting & Representation:
- Attend relevant WASH meetings and provide feedback to supervisor.
- Supervise weekly WASH meetings.
- Compile project reports and forward to Country Director for review.
- Ensure the accurate and timely input of project information in the internal database system (SharePoint).
- Work collaboratively with Global Program Coordinator, providing technical reporting in a timely manner.
- Prepare and provide the Country Director and Global office with monthly program/project status reports required for management, M&E, board members, donors, budget review, program analysis, annual reports, etc.
- Meet with local, national and international agencies or governmental bodies conducting WASH projects to maintain good working relations and potential coordinated activities.
Human Resource Management:
- Manage the team ensuring positive and clear communication on project targets, objectives and timelines to partners, team members and key stakeholders.
- Supervise the attendance and performance of WASH staff, team leaders and teams under their direct supervision.
- Provide training for the WASH team to increase their knowledge and competencies related to WASH.
- Prepare work plans and ToRs to ensure timely and appropriate selection of consultants and local partners to achieve project results.
- Ensure the documentation of good practices and lessons learned and disseminate them within the project team.
- Responsible for coordinating team holiday/vacation schedules, performance evaluations and recruitment/replacement of team members as needed.
- Other duties as requested by the Country Director.
- Minimum 7 years demonstrated working experience in international program development, implementation and/or evaluation; 3 of which should be at senior management level in WASH sector.
- Master’s degree in public health, Water and Sanitation, Environmental Health Science, or Water Engineering from a recognized University.
- Progressive experience of program management (at least 5 years) in the INGO sector with a proven track record as a senior manager and leader, including experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and capacity building. Experience in Africa preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; an articulate and persuasive communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Strong partnership development across sectors and experience with technology and infrastructure is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, SharePoint, Outlook, etc.) and quick to learn new technologies.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
How to apply
Please send an email to HR@lifelinefund.org and Babra@lifelinefund.org, attaching the following documents:
1. A cover letter clearly explaining your interest, and how your experience and abilities makes you suited for the position.
2. A copy of your resume.
The deadline for submission is 11 October 2021.