Position: Director of Finance
Location: United States (Washington, D.C. preferred)
Lifeline is seeking to recruit a Director of Finance (DF) to support its clean water and energy projects in Sub Saharan Africa and beyond. Reporting to the Executive and Deputy Directors, the DF forms part of the Senior Leadership Team with specific responsibilities in the areas of finance, organizational planning, budgeting, and operations. He/she should be passionate about Lifeline’s mission and have experience in developing and managing strong financial and operational systems in the international non-profit sector. This position is both strategic and operationally oriented and requires an individual who can help motivate, inspire, and lead a committed and diverse team.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in coordination with the Executive and Deputy Directors.
- Monitor budgetary progress and keep both the Senior Leadership Team and Board appraised of the organization’s financial status.
- Review and analyze projected versus actual expenses on a line-by-line and global budget basis.
- Spearhead the preparation and modification of proposal budgets, including budget narratives, ensuring that budgets cover all operational/personnel costs relating thereto.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Provide financial oversight and monitoring, including development and implementation of sound fiscal management practices and internal controls in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Manage field accounting staff and oversee monthly accounting processes, including bookkeeping, payroll management, invoicing, and financial tracking of grants.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system, ensuring that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to, and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Develop financial reporting materials for all donor segments and oversee all financial, project/program and grant accounting.
- Prepare and oversee the annual audit process with presentation to the board of directors.
- Engage with and support CPA firm in processing tax returns.
- Maintain strong financial controls on all transactions to ensure compliance with Lifeline and donor requirements.
- Conduct field visits to country offices to assess financial management of projects and support staff.
- Develop and execute short- and long-term operational strategies to optimize organizational growth, productivity, and efficiency.
- Oversee risk management and legal compliance, including insurance, contracts, leases, and other legal documents.
- Commitment to Lifeline’s mission and improving the lives of the less fortunate.
- Degree in finance, accounting, or related field.
- At least seven years of experience managing finance and operations, including for international non-profit organizations.
- Proven track record in organizational budgeting and financial management.
- Proven track record in developing and managing financial and operational systems.
- Experience and familiarity with general accounting, grant tracking, payroll management, and general business systems and functions.
- Experience and familiarity with relevant accounting software, Microsoft software products and Excel.
- Ability to perform tasks that require close attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, strategically, and tactically.
- Ability to prioritize workloads, execute multiple tasks, and follow through to completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively across cultures and manage individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work under pressure as part of a global team.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
$84,000 – $96,000 commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter stating your interest and applicable experience to the role, resume, and academic credentials via email using the below information. The deadline for submission is by end of business day on Feb 21st, 2022. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Director of Finance”
NB: Any kind of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.