To keep water flowing in Uganda’s rural communities, Lifeline has taken into consideration EverFlow’s critical and essential activities, our role in stopping the spread of the virus, as well as the relief needed for rural communities and handpump mechanics. As of March 30, 2020, we are implementing the following procedures in line with the Government of Uganda’s mandates:
- Suspend ongoing WASH activities that involve community gatherings and contact;
- Affect a moratorium on community fee collections for April;
- Suspend disconnections for communities that have defaulted on their fees;
- Halt routine maintenance operations for April;
- Continue operating the toll-free hotline and provide emergency repairs, taking additional measures to limit exposure and sanitize pumps before operations;
- Pay our contracted mechanics a relief salary in April, in spite of no fee collections; and,
- Communicate these updates by radio, phone, and letters to our customers, local government, handpump mechanics, and partners.
Lifeline’s resources do not allow us to sustain these measures indefinitely or expand EverFlow’s services in this time of need, but by coming together with our partners we can collectively make an impact that is more valuable than ever.
Join us in showing our partner communities that we are committed to their health and safety for the long haul by making a monthly membership contribution in honor of “EverFlow COVID-19 Relief.” All funds will be directed to immediate relief services including emergency fee waivers, repair coverage for new communities, sanitation communications, distribution of sanitary goods, and strengthening of EverFlow and the sector’s capacity to sustain functionality and respond to emergencies.